How To Write Epic Content That Gets Hundreds Of Shares And Comments
You’ve heard it from everyone; content is important, and content is king. Your online success depends on the quality of your articles. Why so? Well, let’s take a look at some of benefits of writing great content:
- You can earn shares on social media, and get traffic from people with similar interests.
- Earn backlinks that help you rank higher on search engines, and eventually get more targeted traffic.
- Create a community in your niche.
- Increase the average time spent on your website, and get more conversions.
The keys to write epic content are the following:
- Find great topics and ideas
- Do your research and build a solid plan
- Write great content people want to read
- Promote your article
Keep reading, because I am going to show you how you can write epic content that gets hundreds of shares and comments.
Step 1: Finding content ideas that people want to read
It makes no sense to write content that nobody wants to read. Finding good topics can be sometimes challenging, especially if you are in a boring niche. If you have no clue what to write about, here’s how to find new ideas for your articles.
1. One of the best ways to get new topic ideas is to check what content gets the most shares and comments on your competitors websites. Here’s how I do this with BuzzSumo.
To give you a real example, I will check for the most popular articles from KissMetrics.
It takes a few seconds to analyze the website. And here are the results:
I get a list with the most popular articles based on the number of shares received on social media. From the right menu, I can sort them by the social platform. And, from the left, by their date.
Repeat the process for all your most important competitors, and you’ll get hundreds of article suggestions.
Remember that you are doing this just to get an idea of what works best for your competitors, and not to steal the content itself. For instance, in my case, the most popular article in the last month on KissMetrics is called “50+ Google Analytics Resources”. If I want to write a better article, I can write a post titled “75+ Google Analytics Resources”.
2. The second tool you can use is called HubSpot Blog Topic Generator.
Just as the name says, it automatically generates new topic ideas based on the nouns you type.
Let’s assume that I want to write a new article about SEO, but I am out of ideas.
I’ll insert the following nouns: SEO, posts, traffic.
Clicking the button “Give me blog topics” reveals the following ideas:
You can play with this tool and change your nouns to get more suggestions.
2. Do your research and create a plan
Once found your topic idea, it’s time to start writing. The first thing I usually do is to check what others wrote about my topic and what works best for them. If for instance I want to write an article about Google penalties, I will do a search for “Google penalty recovery” and read all the articles that are ranking on the first page. Also check the blog comments section on these articles, to see if people are asking questions. If they do, you can write answers to their questions in your new post.
And this is how you find articles that Google considers to be relevant and well written.
Once done reading everything, I can create a plan for my article. I usually put all my ideas on paper, and I start with the headlines. Always try to put yourself in your reader’s place, and understand what they want to learn from you.
3. Start writing
I’ve read from so many people that articles should have a minimum length. That’s totally false. If you can explain everything in 300 words, then that’s how long your article should be. There’s no reason to write a 2000 words article for boring topics like “How to boil eggs”. What I am trying to say is that you don’t have to set a length goal for your articles. Doing this will make you concentrate more on the number of words, instead of the quality.
Another important factor to consider is to write content for people and not machines. Yes, SEO is very important, but after all, your articles must be readable because your goal is to obtain a good engagement and lots of shares.
Try to be helpful and provide useful and well researched tips. If anyone is reading your article, what does he want to learn? And most importantly, has he found the answer to his questions after reading your post?
4. Promote your article everywhere
Are you done with writing your article? Awesome, now it’s time to promote it and get visitors to read it. Here are some tips that will help you spread the word about your new post:
- Share it on social media and ask your friends to do the same.
- Share it on forums and social media communities.
- Participate in discussions on your post’s topic and leave a link to your article, if it’s a useful resource.
- Write guest posts on websites with a big audience, and link to your new article.
- Ask bloggers to share or link to your post. You’ll be surprised to see how many will reply to help you promote the article.
There you have it! This is how you write epic content that gets endless shares and comments. Be helpful, and you will become an authority.
Do you have other tips you would like to share with me?